On March 29, 1925 the first factory-kitchen in the USSR was opened in Ivanovo-Voznesensk. People's Health Commissioner Semashko N.A. in his greeting called it "a bomb thrown into the old way of life." It should be noted that the history of the building that preceded this event is very curious: the hostel of the N.P. and N.N. Fokiny cotton printing factory was located there, which they organized instead of the two-storey building of the Kiselev V.P. carriage workshop bought by them in 1908. Shortly before the beginning of World War I, the hostel was rented by the 184th Warsaw Infantry Regiment as barracks, and later as a hospital. After the establishment of Ivanovo-Voznesensk Polytechnic Institute, until 1923 the Engineering Department was located there, which was headed by Keldysh V.M. at that time. The design and construction work on the reconstruction of the building into the factory-kitchen was controlled by the Moscow joint-stock company "Standard". The architecturally-constructive and design-technological solutions of the new public catering enterprise were executed by the architects Korshunov B.A. and. Churakov M.M, and the redevelopment was carried out under the supervision of the engineer-architect Maksimova E. (later the author of the project of the factory-kitchen in Samara, made in the shape of a sickle and a hammer). During these works, an additional building was attached, and a separate one-story warehouse building was additionally constructed. To equip the organization, special equipment for processing and cooking was purchased in Germany, refrigerators, lifts and other equipment, including electric washers, dryers, bread cutters and potato peelers as well. The kitchen was located on the first floor of the building and in the basement; the second floor was occupied by a dining hall for 285 people, as well as a playroom and a library with a reading room. Apart from its own dining hall, the factory-kitchen served eight more factory canteens.
The success of the factory-kitchen in Ivanovo-Voznesensk caused in the second half of the 1920s a mass movement for the creation of factory-kitchens in many cities of the country. In May 1927, the second factory-kitchen in the country was opened in Nizhny Novgorod, which served a number of industrial enterprises and schools. In 1928, a factory-kitchen was opened at the Dnieprostroi (architects Vesnin V., Kolly N., Orlov G. and Maslikh S.). Then within several years the volume of the construction of factories-kitchens quickly grew; they were built in Moscow, Leningrad, Baku, Dnepropetrovsk, Orekhov-Zuev, Stalingrad, Tver, Tashkent, Shuya, Serpukhov, Rostov-on-Don, and so on.